Know the Signs of Problem Gambling
Gambling can be an enjoyable source of entertainment for many people. But for some people, gambling can be addictive. That’s why it’s important to know the signs of problem gambling.
You may have a gambling problem if you:
- Gamble for longer than you intended;
- Borrow money to gamble;
- Lie about how much you gambled;
- Bet more than you intended.
Other warning signs are:
- Loss of interest and participation in normal activities with friends and family;
- Avoidance of questions about time and money;
- A sudden need for money/loans; missing possessions or assets; financial instability;
- Decline in health and neglect of personal needs, such as medical, food, utilities, etc.;
- Changes in attitude and personality; emotional instability, withdrawal, depression.
March is National Problem Gambling Awareness Month. Communities in Nebraska and nationwide will be working to raise awareness of problem gambling and the resources available for individuals whose gambling is causing disruption in their lives.
Problem gambling affects the emotional, physical and financial wellness of individuals and their families and impacts every aspect of society. Assistance with problem gambling is available. Call the Nebraska Problem Gambling Help Line toll free at 833-BETOVER (238-6837) for more information.
Additional resources are available at:
The mission of the Nebraska Lottery is to generate proceeds for good causes while providing quality entertainment options to Nebraskans. Over $717 million has been raised for the Nebraska Lottery’s beneficiary funds since the Lottery began in 1993, including $16,533,972 for the Gamblers Assistance Program. All 93 counties in Nebraska have benefited from projects funded with these Nebraska Lottery proceeds.
Published on 02/21/2018